Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Paradox of Choice - Why More Is Less

The Paradox of Choice - Why Less Is More. Checked out a book on choice. I am interested in this book, because I think this problem exists in enterprise software as well. Too many choices and features has produced paralysis rather than liberation. Too many features in business software, I suspect, has actually reduced participation by employees.

I plan to convince my colleagues to work hard to identify the features that actually work for people and focus on them. I want to compete with other on the value of the products we produce rather than match every other product feature by feature.

The best value a product designer can provide for a customer is a metaphorical fish bowl that provides a boundary that makes the person who uses the product happy. This should be done without promising too much, without nudging buyers towards unrealistic expectations and ultimately disappointing them when they don't realize lofty goals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...